LightPool enhances the Blackpool Illuminations display with new exciting light shows and events, plus the amazing annual Festival at October half term!
Blackpool Illuminations is our favourite time of the year. The resort is packed with people and families, all enjoying the sights and sounds of our busy British seaside town.
LightPool is a fairly recent addition to the Blackpool Illuminations family. Take a look at what it’s added to the annual Greatest Free Light Show on Earth, and follow the links to find out more about each individual feature.
Digital Projection Shows
LightPool returns for the Blackpool Illuminations season with new 3D projection shows. They’re beamed onto the famous red brick building at the the base of Blackpool Tower.
Some of your favourite projection shows will be returning in 2018. Plus, look out for two new ones that celebrate two big anniversaries.
The Circus250 projection show will celebrate the 250th anniversary year of Circus and Blackpool Tower. Not forgetting Blackpool’s favourite glove puppet, Sooty, who also reached the ripe old age of 70 in 2018 and has a new show of his own.
You can enjoy the 3D projection shows every evening throughout the season from 31 August to 4 November.
Buy your Illuminations memorabilia and photo souvenirs there. The profits from official sales are reinvested into future displays. The food and drink kiosks in the village are also open during the daytime.
This sparkling Festival brings the Illuminations to life with celebrations of art, performance, light and fire during October half-term.
Features of the Festival in 2018 include:
- Carnival of Lights – the BIG celebration that YOU can join in with, featuring the amazing illuminated tram parade
- Light Odyssey – the BBC Philharmonic will perform LIVE, while their music dances in lights around the room!
- Light Performance – see street art and performers as they bring Blackpool to life
- Installations – follow the trail of artworks around Blackpool. Can you find them all?
Find out what’s happening during LightPool Festival
Grundy Art Gallery
Last year the Grundy Art Gallery showed ‘Neon’. It was a celebration of all things neon for Blackpool Illuminations and LightPool and featured the work of some of the world’s best known artists. Watch this space to find out what’s happening at the Grundy this year.
How Lightpool Began – in 2015
(Published October 2015)
A £2m grant was secured from the Coastal Communities Fund. Along with contributions from Blackpool Council and LeftCoast this provided funding for the first two years. It included a series of shows, exhibitions and entertainment, along with the projection shows.
New attractions included:
- Digitally mapped projections onto the Blackpool Tower building
- A new artistic light installation at the Grundy Art Gallery throughout the Illuminations. To create a day-time experience and open the Lights up to a new audience.
- New gateways at arrival points.
- The new Festival at October half term, with live street entertainment
- Resort Ambassadors to help people in town
The purpose of this funding was to encourage people to get out of their cars and onto the streets of Blackpool. Not just to explore the promenade, but other areas too, including the town centre.
It was very successful and it’s now a regular feature of the Blackpool Illuminations.
Find out More
- Like Live Blackpool on Facebook
- Join our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group
- Follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast